About LDAR Realtors® Care Upcoming Events Members Only
      Lethbridge and District Association of REALTORS®
516 - 6th Street South - Lethbridge, AB T1J2E2
Phone: 403.328.8838 Fax: 403.328.8906
Email: eo@ldar.ca
 
YOU ARE HERE: Home / Community Profiles /MD of Pincher Creek/Pincher Station
Beaver Mines
Cowley
Lowland Heights
Lundbreck
Pincher Creek
Pincher Station
 


  MD of Pincher Creek
 
 
Pincher Station  


Although there had been some ranching in the district as early as the late 1880s, Pincher City really came into its own as a settlement in 1898 with the construction of the Crowsnest Branch of the Canadian Pacific Railway. The railway conglomerate chose to avoid building through Pincher Creek, located three kilometers to the south, as the creekside terrain required too much elevation change for a transportation system wary of steep inclines. Pincher City’s site avoided such topographical challenges and also let the CPR establish its own townsite whereby it could encourage real estate development and add to company coffers in exchange for building the railway. The settlement boomed during the pre-World War One era, particularly as a marketing centre for local ranchers and farmers. Its success resulted in the community being named locally “Pincher City”. Several new local agricultural ventures were established in the district after 1898. Railway commerce was further enhanced at Pincher Station as all passengers and freight out of Pincher Creek itself was channeled through there. Its population peaked in 1911 at 150 people with nearly half ranchers and farmers. The rest were connected to the rail industry, local businesses and the area’s country school. Places of commerce served the agricultural, business and railway nature of the community, and were composed of four different general stores; clothier and millinery shops; two blacksmith shops; harness making shop; J. B. Carlson (Jeweler) and Mah Chong’s popular restaurant. Local landmarks included the Pincher City branch of the Merchants’ Bank of Canada and the impressive 3½ story Alexandra Hotel. Pincher City also was a thriving educational and social centre. The Pincher City School District No. 1725 was established in the early 1900s. The school house, a rectangular building with both a front entrance and a rear porch, was constructed by William Henry Read and classes continued until 1946. A community hall was constructed ca. 1913. Both it and the school were used extensively for social and community events during the 1920s and 1930s. Its usage after the Second World War declined and the building was dismantled and moved to Pincher Creek where it saw further public service adjacent the Memorial Community Centre on Main Street. A Post Office operated at Pincher City for nearly half a century, from 1906 to 1954. A full dozen pioneers held the postmaster position during these years - the office usually was housed in various businesses.








 
     
Lethbridge and District Association of REALTORS®
516 - 6th Street South - Lethbridge, AB T1J2E2
Phone: 403.328.8838 Fax: 403.328.8906
Email:eo@ldar.ca Terms of Use Privacy Policy
Produced by LethbridgeLink.com Business Services