About LDAR Realtors® Care Upcoming Events Members Only
      Lethbridge and District Association of REALTORS®
516 - 6th Street South - Lethbridge, AB T1J2E2
Phone: 403.328.8838 Fax: 403.328.8906
Email: eo@ldar.ca
 
YOU ARE HERE: Home / Community Profiles /MD of Pincher Creek/Lundbreck
Beaver Mines
Cowley
Lowland Heights
Lundbreck
Pincher Creek
Pincher Station
 


  MD of Pincher Creek
 
 
Lundbreck  


Like Beaver Mines, the community of Lundbreck owes its economic origins to both the ranching and coal mining industries. Their contributions actually pre-date the establishment of the settlement. Local ranching started in the late 1870s as a collage of family and corporate based operations. During the mid 1910s, the Doukhobor community established a series of farms in the Lundbreck area. Two Lundbreck area coal mines dated back to the 1880s. The first was established just north of the Middle Fork by local pioneer Mart Holloway, already famed for his participation in the naming of Pincher Creek. The second, the Galbraithe Coal Mine, also operated during the 1880s and re-opened in 1904 following the establishment of the CPR’s siding here. The best remembered mine was operated during the early 1900s by Mess. Breckenridge & Lund, credited with the naming of Lundbreck itself. NWMP reports indicated that nearly 75 men were employed at the Lundbreck mines in 1905. Lundbreck also became a commercial centre for area ranchers and coal mines. The Lundbreck Trading Co. was established as a general store in the early 1900s by the Rogers Bros. Wallace T. Eddy operated a butcher shop nearby; a local firm of Green & Mason owned a thriving livery stable; Charles Moore operated a general store and H. G. Slemmon had a butcher shop. Overnight accommodation was provided by the Windsor Hotel, it was a two-story complex that outback boosted a double-decker outhouse. The building unfortunately was destroyed by fire in 1963. Educational services came early with the establishment of the Lundbreck School District No. 1571 in 1907. The first school teacher was Mr. Schofield & the initial Board was composed of five early businessmen, doctors & ranchers. Classes were first held in a small bunk house which quickly became over crowded. By 1910, a larger country school was constructed. In 1932, a second class room was built in the school’s basement which allowed for the separation of classes into lower and upper grades. The first Grade 12 graduating class dated from 1954 and in 1959, the modern Livingstone School with all twelve grades was established. Lundbreck remains one of the few rural hamlets home to such a large school. Lundbreck was declared a hamlet in 1907. Its Post Office, which still operates today, was established on April 1st, 1906.








 
     
Lethbridge and District Association of REALTORS®
516 - 6th Street South - Lethbridge, AB T1J2E2
Phone: 403.328.8838 Fax: 403.328.8906
Email:eo@ldar.ca Terms of Use Privacy Policy
Produced by LethbridgeLink.com Business Services