About LDAR Realtors® Care Upcoming Events Members Only
      Lethbridge and District Association of REALTORS®
516 - 6th Street South - Lethbridge, AB T1J2E2
Phone: 403.328.8838 Fax: 403.328.8906
Email: eo@ldar.ca
 
YOU ARE HERE: Home / Community Profiles /MD of Pincher Creek/Lowland Heights
Beaver Mines
Cowley
Lowland Heights
Lundbreck
Pincher Creek
Pincher Station
 


  MD of Pincher Creek
 
 
Lowland Heights  


Historically, Lowland Heights has served as a point along a valuable transportation link between Pincher Creek and its neighbor to the east, Fort Macleod. Situated along the banks of the Pincher Creek immediately east of this famed Northwest Mounted Police Horse Ranch, Lowland Heights is located along the old Macleod Road. This was the route established by the Mounties as early as the late 1870s to help secure law enforcement duties in this part of the Canadian Prairies. Part of the route travelled northeasterly to cross the Pincher Creek at Goforth’s Crossing, named after one of Pincher Creek’s early medical doctors. It then headed to a point on the Oldman River near its confluence with the Pincher Creek. The Macleod Trail headed northward to what is now the Spring Point area, where Beaver Creek is nestled in the Porcupine Hills. There, the trail connected with the route heading northwesterly up to the Porcupine Hills Outpost established by the Force. A trip heading southeasterly into lower elevations eventually connected with Fort Macleod. This trail was utilized not only by the Mounties but by ranchers and early travelers. It is said that stagecoach operator Max Brouielle used parts of this route back as early as the mid 1880s. During the pre-railway era, he offered tri-weekly passenger, goods and postal delivery service between Pincher Creek and Fort Macleod. The construction of the Crowsnest Branch of the CPR in 1897 to 1898 put an end to the stage coaches and the extensive use of the old Macleod Road. But several early pioneers already had settled along the Pincher Creek end of the Macleod Road and constituted some of the settlers in Lowland Heights.








 
     
Lethbridge and District Association of REALTORS®
516 - 6th Street South - Lethbridge, AB T1J2E2
Phone: 403.328.8838 Fax: 403.328.8906
Email:eo@ldar.ca Terms of Use Privacy Policy
Produced by LethbridgeLink.com Business Services