About LDAR Realtors® Care Upcoming Events Members Only
      Lethbridge and District Association of REALTORS®
516 - 6th Street South - Lethbridge, AB T1J2E2
Phone: 403.328.8838 Fax: 403.328.8906
Email: eo@ldar.ca
 
YOU ARE HERE: Home / Community Profiles /MD of Pincher Creek/Beaver Mines
Beaver Mines
Cowley
Lowland Heights
Lundbreck
Pincher Creek
Pincher Station
 


  MD of Pincher Creek
 
 
Beaver Mines  


The hamlet of Beaver Mines owes its economic origins to the lumbering, agricultural & coal mining industries. A unique railway feature ensured that this community flourished prior to the First World War. The first logging operation in the Pincher Creek area was centered at Mountain Mill, some two miles east of Beaver Mines. This started as a Dominion government project back in 1879 & was sold to Senator Peter McLaren several years later. Although most logging was along Mill Creek during the late 1800s, subsequent operations utilized the Beaver Mines area. Homesteaders & ranchers came into this west country as early as the 1890s & early 1900s. The area’s coal mining potential was recognized by geologists who explored the area back in the 1880s. Their reports noted the quality & quantity of the coal to be sufficient to be harvested commercially. Development started as early as 1907 when the Western Coal & Coke Co. began purchasing local property. Two coal seams near Beaver Creek were selected to be mined & limited production started quickly. The mines brought much initial success to the new settlement of Beaver Mines. An economic upswing during the spring of 1913 ensured that both mines operated at full capacity, subject to the company hiring more men. Production increased further the following spring to the extent that new coke over technology was installed by Western Coal & Coke. By 1910, there was a monthly mining output of 300 tons. Some three years later, the annual total of coal mined totaled nearly 70,000 tons. During the height of production prior to the First World War, 164 men were employed in the mines. Initial production was hindered by a lack of accessible markets. This was corrected with the completion in 1912 of the Kootenay & Alberta Railway, the only non-CPR line ever to be completed in southwestern Alberta. This nineteen kilometer railroad linked Beaver Mines with the CPR at Kendary Junction, located one mile west of Pincher City. It featured two notorious wooden railway crossing over Lang’s Coulee & at Mountain Mill. Coal mining slacked off during the First World War, and the much-coveted K&A Railway was dismantled in 1917 with the materials utilized for the war effort. The community returned to its farming & ranching roots. The settlement of Beaver Mines witnessed much growth during the pre-World War One era. Its business district was noted for its two livery barns, a meat market and a well-stocked blacksmith shop. A general store was under the proprietorship of George Ballentyne and there was a large hotel which opened in March 1914 amidst much fanfare. It featured a large dining room well patronized by local miners. The Beaver Mines Post Office remained a landmark for many years to come, established just before Christmas 1911. It faithfully served the community for over half a century with ten local pioneers fulfilling the duties of Postmaster.








 
     
Lethbridge and District Association of REALTORS®
516 - 6th Street South - Lethbridge, AB T1J2E2
Phone: 403.328.8838 Fax: 403.328.8906
Email:eo@ldar.ca Terms of Use Privacy Policy
Produced by LethbridgeLink.com Business Services