About LDAR Realtors® Care Upcoming Events Members Only
      Lethbridge and District Association of REALTORS®
516 - 6th Street South - Lethbridge, AB T1J2E2
Phone: 403.328.8838 Fax: 403.328.8906
Email: eo@ldar.ca
 
YOU ARE HERE: Home / Community Profiles /Municipality of Crowsnest Pass/Bellevue
Hillcrest
Frank
Coleman
Blairmore
Bellevue
 


  Municipality of Crowsnest Pass
 
 
Bellevue  


Bellevue is an urban community in the Rocky Mountains within the Municipality of Crowsnest Pass in southwest Alberta. It was formerly incorporated as a village prior to 1979 when it amalgamated with four other municipalities to form Crowsnest Pass. Unlike some of the other communities in Crowsnest Pass, which relied on a single coal mine, Bellevue benefitted from the proximity of several successful mines and, despite setbacks from fire, strikes, mine accidents and fluctuations in the coal market, persisted as a successful community to the present day. Bellevue was founded in 1905 on the flat land above the Bellevue Mine operated by West Canadian Collieries. The naming of the town is credited to Elsie Fleutot, the young daughter of one of WCC’s French principals, Jules J. Fleutot, after she exclaimed “Quelle belle vue!” (What a beautiful view!). In 1909 the Maple Leaf Coal Company commenced operations at the Mohawk Bituminous Mine and constructed the settlement of Maple Leaf adjacent to Bellevue. In 1913 WCC transferred many workers to Bellevue from its closed Lille operations. This period of growth was not without setbacks. An explosion in the Bellevue Mine during a partial afternoon shift on December 9th, 1910 killed 30 miners. In 1917 a fire destroyed most of Bellevue’s business section, followed by smaller fires in 1921 and 1922. A shanty-town called Bush town, or Il Bosc, below Bellevue was flooded in 1923 but persisted for several years. West Canadian Collieries opened the Adanac Mine at Byron Creek in 1945, but by 1957 all of the Bellevue area mines were closed. The tipple at Bellevue continued to process coal from WCC’s Grassy Mountain open-pit, but was removed in 1962 after that operation closed. These closures caused a critical reduction in Bellevue's tax base. Bellevue finally incorporated into a village in 1957, and elected Alberta's first female mayor. The realignment of Highway 3 in the 1970s led to a decline of Bellevue’s business section, although the residential areas continued to thrive. Following amalgamation of five local school districts in 1966, Bellevue joined four other local communities in amalgamation into the Municipality of Crowsnest Pass in 1979 which restored a measure of financial stability and Bellevue continues to thrive today.








 
     
Lethbridge and District Association of REALTORS®
516 - 6th Street South - Lethbridge, AB T1J2E2
Phone: 403.328.8838 Fax: 403.328.8906
Email:eo@ldar.ca Terms of Use Privacy Policy
Produced by LethbridgeLink.com Business Services